I am writing this a few hours before my dental surgery this morning that will remove 15 of my teeth. I’m not sure how long it will be before I am able, or want to, write again, and I want to make sure I’ve got goals for July beyond simply surviving the pain. If you’re reading this and it’s Monday, July 1st, say a little prayer, if you would, that I survive surgery, that the surgeon is able to do everything she needs to do, and that this will be another important step in my journey to better health.
My goals for June were:
- Get a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate intensity cardio activity PLUS two strength training* sessions each week
- *Make an appointment with a trainer at the gym! – did not see a trainer, did not do even a single strength training session, but I did get at least the minimum 150 minutes of cardio each week
- Have fun: incorporate at least one fun activity into each week (sewing, knitting, crochet, lunch with a friend, bike ride, pedicure, get hair done) â€“ I have been focusing more on working fun into my life and I’m pretty sure I hit my goal to do something fun every week, but I don’t think I’m doing enough to make sure I really experience and enjoy the fun, if that makes sense
- At least one fruit or veggie with each meal – this one has been a real pleasure to check off of the list! I have developed a healthy obsession with berries & cherry/grape tomatoes, so that has made this goal super simple
- Eat at least 25 grams of fiber every day – by eating so much fruit and so many veggies, this goal has been a slam dunk
- Donâ€™t buy any clothes for a month – I sort of managed this one. I did buy two items of clothing but I didn’t wear either of them in June, so there’s that. I wanted to buy clothes many, many times during the month, and it was knowing that I’d have to come here and tell you about it that made me stop and put down the plastic!
My revised goals for 2013 have been published and they include:
- fasting blood sugar reading below 130 mg/dL – already achieved, need to maintain
- triglycerides reading less than 150 mg/dL – already achieved, need to maintain
- body weight at or below 169 pounds (putting me into the Overweight category on BMI scale) – 35 more pounds in six months
- waist measurement of not more than 39 inches – 5-1/2 more inches in six months
- an improved quality of life as perceived by me – well on my way to achieving this!
So, where should I focus for July?
- Finish Couch to 5K program (I’ll be starting week 5 of the program this week if all goes well with the surgery), be able to jog 30 minutes straight
- Make an appointment with a personal trainer to develop a strength training program I can begin
- Reach out to friends & family to make sure that I have scheduled time with at least one person I love every week this month
These aren’t particularly aggressive goals but I need to focus on recovering from surgery and learning how to eat again with temporary teeth. I’m told by my dentist that I will not be able to chew anything with these “flipper teeth” in for 3-9 months – yikes!
OK, I’m off to the gym before my surgery. Hope all goes well. I’ll report back when I’m feeling well enough to do so and I’m sure I’ll be on Facebook and Twitter in the meantime.